Friday, October 18, 2013

Australia and New Zealand Cruise–Dravuni Island - Fiji

 

Last night we were trying to prep our backpacks and beachbag for a long beach day at Dravuni Island. We didn’t know much about Dravuni except that it was a beach day. The cruise people had mentioned over and over that there was nothing there but beaches. We got a little paper in our mail slot confirming this along with some historical stuff on Dravuni Island. I don’t even remember any of the historical stuff but the big weird take home for me was that cannibalism only stopped on the island about 80 years ago.

So when trying to plan what to bring for the entire day Peter asked if I thought they would have anything for lunch on the island and I shot back with.. “Sure…. Finger sandwiches…” and then I collapsed into a fit of giggles that went on and on. And seeing Peter’s embarrassed look at my ridiculously obvious, stupid joke only sent me further into hysterics. I am not proud to admit that a full 24 hours later, merely saying finger sandwiches has sent me into another giggle fit that has brought tears to my eyes. So there you go peeps, we’re dealing with serious comedy here.

Ok so where was I? Dravuni Island.. drop dead gorgeous. It’s one of those places that looks like a postcard in every direction and yet your camera lens is just incapable of capturing the magnitude of beauty that your eyes are taking in. We were on the first tender leaving the ship this morning at 8am and the last tender back onto the boat at 5:30pm. We did a ton of snorkeling and the boys had a true full beach day. I’m sunburned and Henry has a head and ear full of sand that will take weeks to get out. We came back and just had a silly, happy time laughing at everything at dinner.

Peter made some joke about Henry’s chocolate cake looking like a dog walked by and doodoo’d on his plate had Henry laughing so hard I thought he was going to barf. It’s a good thing I’m working so hard on “appropriate dinner conversation” with the boys. After dinner Peter was trying to show off and announced to the boys he was going to moonwalk down the entire hallway and then started on his way. Grant looked at me and said with all seriousness “So moonwalking is just walking backwards then?” Should be an easy night getting the boys to bed. Which is good as we have a full day in Fiji tomorrow.

Grant and Henry visiting a school on the Island:

DSC03345

DSC03296DSC03323DSC03329DSCF0294DSCF0304DSCF0321

No comments: