Thursday, November 21, 2013

Campervan - Matauri Bay and Whangarei Falls

 

DSC05872

We woke up to a gorgeous sunrise at Matauri Bay and let the boys sleep in a bit. Matauri Bay is where the Greenpeace boat The Rainbow Warrior was re-sunk and is apparently one of the best dives in the world. There is a memorial erected on the top of the hill that we climbed that is pretty cool and the views were absolutely amazing in every direction. It looked a little steep for my liking but with NO ONE around I figured we could stop a few (or thirty) times along the way. We ended up only stopping a couple of times up which was surprising to even me. I am finding out that I don’t hate hiking as much as I’d originally thought, I just don’t like an audience or Peter being annoying and wanting to chant and sing songs.

Camper on the beach at Matauri Beach + view from our bed in the back window:

DSC05785DSC05874

 

Rainbow Warrier Memorial and view from the top…

DSC05810DSC05827DSC05806

After our exploring we left Matauri Bay we headed to Whangarei Falls where we pulled into the most backpackery youth hostelly place we’ve stayed yet. It didn’t have an amazing view and it was a crowded camp park full of 20 yr old (mostly) German students backpacking. We were feeling like we really should have shopped around a bit more before we landed at this place when Grant got out of the camper and saw the rusty old swing set, TINY (and freezing) pool and trampoline and declared “this is actually the nicest place we’ve stayed!” The campground sat adjacent to Wharangei Falls so we had a hike down and around there and then came back so Peter could have round 3902390 of fish n chips. The next morning we were groggy and I was sent to go wash up the dishes and we could see the kitchen was packed so Peter told me to just march in there and say “OY, <insert some German sounding sentence Peter learned when he was 13>” and not to mention the war. Peter’s one German phrase he knows is “I am thirteen yrs old” oh.. and the word “squirrel”. Any guess as to how old he was when he learned it? For some reason at 8am this made me laugh and forget I was mad at him for losing yet another thing on our trip.

DSC05896DSC05911

No comments: