Wednesday, September 22, 2010

sibling manipulation…FAIL.

Today Grant had to go to the Dr. to pee in a cup for the first time ever.  Of course he refused.  No amount of pleading or stickers convinced him that this was an OK thing to do.  The Dr. sent us home with 2 stickers and the cup to try and collect it at home.  On the way out the door Grant felt his presence at the Dr’s office warranted his 2 stickers and started whining and being obstinate.  I’m trying a new tactic for these tantrums that I can see coming.  Grant is one that will try to engage you in an argument for hours.. repeating the same thing over and over and over.  He also thinks he can negotiate everything.  Neither of these tactics on his part has ever worked so I’m not sure why he’s still trying.  After reading this 1-2-3 magic book though, I’ve realized that he’s just constantly trying to get us to argue with him.  I’ve stopped taking the bait.  So today we got to the car and I told him to fasten his seat belt and he told me that he wanted the 2 reward stickers (for weeing in the cup- that he didn’t do) before he would buckle himself in.  So I sat there and explained that he wasn’t going to get them..and that I would no longer be telling him WHY as I was telling him this NOW and we weren’t leaving the parking lot until he was in his seat belt. 

So I sat there checking email on my phone and ignoring him.. while he screamed “I. WANT. MY. STICKER. RIGHT. NOWW!!!!” Which on it’s own is incredibly awesome in the pediatrician’s parking lot with every parent walking bye casting judgey judy looks at your child spewing horrible demands.  All the while Henry was looking on.. either horrified.. or observing what worked and what didn’t.  After awhile Grant calmed down and I thought we’d be off in no time.  When I heard the following conversation:

Grant: Henry.. Henry.. tell mommy you want the Spiderman sticker.. but DON’T say it’s for me.. just say “I want the Spiderman sticker”

Henry: Ok.. Mommy, Grant want-

Grant: NOOOO NO HENRY.. don’t say I want it.. say you want to have it.. just say “I want the Spiderman sticker.. "

Henry: “Grant want the Spiderman sti-"

Grant: Noooooo HENRY NO .. don’t say my name.. MOMMY, HENRY HAS SOMETHING TO TELL YOU.. (quietly) henry.. don’t say my name.

Henry:…..  …. “him want the spi-“

Grant: NOOOOO..HENRY DO NOT SAY MY NAME!!

All the while Henry was just NOT getting what it was that Grant wanted and kept looking at him like he was crazy as he was doing EXACTLY what he asked. 

So it seems we’ve already entered into the stage where your kid thinks you’re a complete dumbass.  I really thought that started in high school when they think we don’t know they’re planning on how to get to unchaperoned parties.  I don’t know how he thought I couldn’t HEAR the entire conversation and what he was doing. 

Exasperated and annoyed he finally relented and I heard a very quiet “click” from behind me.  I was glad my sweet little polite boy had returned when he yelled out  “WHY AREN’T WE GOING ANYWHERE???!?!?”

always a work in progress… Smile with tongue out

oh. and he DID pee in the cup at home.. and then every time after that he needed to go he wanted to be going in the cup.  I’m not going to be trusting any cups lying around for awhile. 

-misty

No comments: