Wednesday, September 08, 2010

half a decade ago..

grantcd10

I gave birth to a bright and smiley little boy that stole my heart from the moment I saw him.  It’s been a crazy whirlwind that has completely flown by. 

He was an easy baby that was very independent from the moment he arrived.  He has always been this ball of sunshine and I didn’t realize it was any different to any other baby until people asked me every time we were out “Is he always this happy?” 

Grant’s a very caring little guy that has seemed to grasp empathy and caring for others at really early age.  He is emotional, like me.. strong willed and stubborn.. like both of his parents.  He has incredible recall for minute details that happened years ago.  But mostly he is a great little guy that you can’t help being happy around – unless he’s having one of his little screaming fits we’ve been dealing with lately..  then.. wow.. earplugs. 

Today was a big day.  It was Grant’s birthday.. or beerthday as he still calls it (I’m sure he’ll pick this back up in college).  It was also his first day of pre-k school.  After school I picked up his best friend Garret to come over for a playdate and then we took them all out to Red Robin for Grant’s birthday dinner.  I’m reminded now of why we will ALWAYS have birthday parties somewhere else.  The boys had a grand time.  It’s so funny hearing him interact with his little friends in different social situations.  We got to RR and Grant immediately introduced “my friend Garrett who is gonna eat with us for my beerthday” to the host.  The boys were quite squirelly all through dinner but we kind of let them be a little crazy.  We were tucked in a corner with only a few other families in earshot. 

My favorite conversation that had me in stitches was between Grant and Garrett.  Grant was asking Garrett “Remember that time when I did blah blah blah.. and I got the Skittles?”  Grant’s speech is coming along but he does sound like he’s saying “Squittles”.  Somehow Garrett heard this a little wrong.. and had a lot of questions about this incident.. repeating back.. “You got the Shittles?  When did you get the Shittles?  I didn’t get Shittles did I?  Where did you get the Shittles?”  After nearly shooting my drink through my nose I turned my head.. and laughed until I was crying.. occasionally snorting throughout dinner remembering it.  It’s still cracking me up as I write this. 

Before we left the Red Robin crew did the Happy Birthday song and dance for Grant and actually brought out little tiny sundaes for Garrett and Henry as well.  I was trying to get them not to eat as much because I knew we had cake and ice cream at home.  Peter thought he’d help Henry along by taking a bite and Henry bit his head off and sneered at him “NO! It’s not YOUR birthday”.. which.. is amusing considering it wasn’t Henry’s either. 

Oh.. and this year Grant requested a beerthday cake that looked like a bag of popcorn.  The problem with being arty is that your kids now think you can create or make anything.  The problem with loving this stuff and your kids is that you will move mountains and lose countless hours of sleep to do it.  Here’s the cake.. and really it only took a few hours. Smile 

P1010042

Happy Beerthday my little 5 year old.  May the years to come bring as much laughter and joy as you have brought to us.. and not so much in the Shittles dept.

 

love,

mum

xoxo

2 comments:

Michele said...

I can't stop laughing. The girls had to come check on me.

Awesome cake by likely the best mom in the world.

Happy beerthday Grant!

Anonymous said...

I think I got the shittles the other day. Happy Birthday Grant!