Wednesday, March 05, 2008

G'day from NZ

DSC03540 Well today is Peter's birthday in New Zealand and with the international date line and being in the RV for a few days I thought TOMORROW was his birthday.  I felt incredibly embarrassed when I was yelling at him for something this morning and he reminded me what day it was (which I of course argued until he showed me the paper proving himself right). 

So after quite a few days of traveling I just have to say we were blessed with two incredibly good travelers.  After a mix-up and flight change and waiting around at the check in desk in Seattle we were then marked to go through an additional round of security.  They must have thought Henry and Grant were high risk as they both got patted down as well.  I really wish I could have gotten video of Henry's little wobbly head and half smile as I held him up and "spread 'em" for the woman to frisk him. 

The flights were really long but both boys were real troopers.  I think Grant squealed 2x for less than a minute about being in his car seat.  Fortunately with the flight change we got here just in time for him to play with his cousins Luca and Arabella and then he went straight to bed. 

We've been traveling around the North Island of New Zealand for the past 5 or 6 days in a rented RV.  The day we arrived and today have been the only day we've seen the sun.  It's been a bit frustrating to see these AMAZING views that you just KNOW would be so much more stunning when it was nice out.  Several brochures called the parts we visited "winterless" as it always has good weather and we ran into someone who has been here for the past 18 yrs and had never seen rain and weather so bad here.  Anyway.. It's hard to do much complaining now that we're backed up to the sea with absolutely BEAUTIFUL scenery and even got some swimming in today.  

Henry updates:

He's now rolling over ever time we turn around.  He's also quite good with finding his feet and has just about figured out his hands.  He's had a great deal of time to look at them lately while we've been stuck inside the RV with the rain outside.  He's also getting into the crazy blow-out stage.  Which makes it particularly annoying when you're out camping without easy access to laundry facilities.  He also decided the day we arrived that he no longer sleeps in his carseat.  I was trying to break him of this habit back home and was kicking myself for trying to change it before we left.  However now he's a "big boy" and sleeps lying down.  I realize ALL of these things individually would have merited a blog post for Grant.  I knew I'd have less time to blog and the second child blahblahblah.. but wow.. I didn't think i'd fall this far behind in recording his activities.  So Henry when you grow up and need therapy for this - know that we love you.. I'm just crap.

Grant updates:

He's eaten Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches by request every day.  When I try to give him anything else he says "no.. no.. no way."  He learned "no way" from Go Diego Go.  He looooves boats.. the beaches and chasing chickens and seagulls.  We did a harbour cruise in Akaroa and he spent the ENTIRE boat trip running from the back of the boat to the front yelling to me "I SEE WAWA!!!!"

The other interesting thing about all sleeping in an RV is sharing the same sleeping quarters.  Right now Grant has taken over our entire bed and Henry refuses to sleep unless we're all in bed as well.  Which is why i'm ending this now. :)

-misty

1 comment:

Joanna said...

You guys are my idols! I can't imagine flying internationaly to another hemisphere with two small children. Can't wait to hear all about the trip. And happy birthday, Peter!!